Monday, July 26, 2010

Disc #33: Ben Folds (Way To Normal)



Artist: Ben Folds
Album: Way To Normal
Released by Sony BMG in 2008

A few things to note about this album before I begin. First, you may remember that this disc was featured in The Lost Albums: Part 1. Well, I missed it so much that I just had to go out and grab it. I'm so glad that I did. Second, you may have noticed that this takes us to a previous letter in the alphabet: "B". I have decided that if I acquire a disc during the experiment and we have already passed it alphabetically, I will just review it right away so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Also, I just wanted to listen to this awesome album again. Over and over and over in my car.

In my opinion, this may very well be Ben Folds' finest work. It is also his most obscene. Ben has never been one to shy away from vulgarity, and it shows on this album. Even though I would like it so much more were it not for the frequent bomb-dropping, it's still such a great album.

Once again I'm quite taken by the way he's able to illustrate complex domestic themes of stagnancy and apathy in long-term relationships. The pictures he paints seem far too familiar (not personally, but socially speaking). The big single from this album, "You Don't Know Me", captures it quite well. The other track that does it is another one of my favourites from the album, the closing track, "Kylie From Connecticut". The core of Western culture is very much rooted in the strength of the family unit. It seems that society has been rebelling from it in secrecy for years, but rising divorce rates and increasing accounts of family dysfunctions are bringing it more and more to the surface. I believe that Folds has hit the nail on the head when it comes to emulating the deep-seated frustrations and emotions behind the break-down of the common family unit. It doesn't so much offer a solution, but at least it brings light to a problem that so many people face.

Amidst all the heaviness however, there are many lighter moments. Beautiful song-writing and humorous lyrics are matched up nicely in one of the funniest tunes on the album, "Effington". I chuckle every time I hear, "Effington could be a wonderful Effing place." Another sunny moment for me is the light satire found in "Brainwascht". Not only is this song funny, but it really reminds me of the Ben Folds Five sound. In fact, of his three solo albums, this is the one that I believe sounds the most like the old "Five" albums. I recently had a dream in which I was in some body's basement and Ben Folds was there playing this song. We all sang along and then I asked him what his favourite song was which he had wrote. He said that it was "Trusted", which is so convenient since that is one of my all-time fave BF songs. I hope to return to that dream some day. Somebody get Leo on the phone for me.

So, we must once again say good-bye to Ben Folds, but there are a few more albums of his that I don't own, so perhaps we will meet again. Even with your dirty potty-mouth, you never let me down. Hats off to you, and enjoy your score of:

8

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #34: Bryan Adams (11).

3 comments:

  1. I'm taking a class right now called Understanding Pop Music where we look at music history and the way it relates with culture and spirituality.

    It is awesome. I wish you were here taking it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey;

    Which Ben Folds is the one we listened to a lot in dorm? (Fall '02 I believe?)

    With nostalgia,
    -Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ben. I would absolutely love that class. You're good at internet, so can you just skype me into the class?

    Chris, that was Ben Folds' first solo album, "Rockin' the Suburbs". I reviewed it earlier on in the experiment. You always seemed to walk into the room during "Black Tears", and I think you wondered if that was the only track on the album.

    Those are good memories. You're the reason I bought a guitar. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete