Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Lost Albums: Part 1 (A-B)

I've prepared a little treat for you all. As I've been going through my discs, I've been thinking about the CDs that I used to have but have been lost, stolen, traded or sold at some point over the years. Periodically throughout the experiment we will explore these discs. I won't go into the contents in great detail, but it will be fun to discuss them briefly.


Artist: Aerosmith
Album: Big Ones
Status: Traded

I'm pretty sure I traded this one to Ben, but I have no idea what I got in return. This is one of the first CDs I ever owned. It played and played. I guess I grew tired of it. I'm not a big Aerosmith fan, but it would be a good one to still have in the collection.


Artist: Alanis Morisette
Album: Jagged Little Pill
Status: Sold

I sold this one to my sister once I though it wasn't cool any more. I think I sold it to her for 7 bucks, I probably thought that I was ripping her off, and was proud of myself. Sarah, I'm sorry I used to be a jerk. I'm not sorry I don't have this CD anymore.


Artist: Barenaked Ladies
Album: Maybe You Should Drive
Status: Traded

Another one that went to Ben, and I think it was in the "Dumb and Dumber Trade". It was the first BNL album I owned and I should have kept it. I may go pick it up again. I want to hear "Jane" again. Oh Wait! I hear it every day at work on CHFI!


Artist: Ben Folds
Album: Way To Normal
Status: Lost

My sister-in-law got me this album just the other year, and I have no idea where it has gotten to. I thought it was one of his best so I hope to get it back someday soon. Perhaps I will take matters into my own hands...


Artist: Blink 182
Album: Enema of the State
Status: Sold?

I think I sold this one to Deja Vu Discs, but I can't remember. I might have just tossed it one day in an effort to be more pure. I don't know if it helped, but it did blow some of the chaff out of my collection. I loved these guys in high school. The big difference between me and the band is that I have matured since then.


Artist: Busta Rhymes
Album: When Disaster Strikes
Status: Discarded

Everybody makes mistakes, right? I found $40 one day in the mall parking lot when I was a young teenager (so young, so stupid). I went and bought two albums. This was one of them. I'm so sorry. I threw it out only the other year because I hate throwing away CDs, but I just couldn't bring myself to sell it to Deja Vu Discs. Why would I want to tempt someone else to make the same mistake I did? It was only logical to give it the ol' heave-ho. It should have happened years ago.


So that completes the first installment of The Lost Albums. I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #31: Cadet (Cadet).

6 comments:

  1. A very cool special side project. I definitely have Big Ones in my collection, but for some reason I think I bought it used somewhere.... maybe it was a trade.

    I think I'd trade you Dumb & Dumber back for 54/40, but I'm not sure that I'd do I Mother Earth for BNL's Maybe You Should Drive. Just popped it in for a listen a few weeks ago after you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay mike...

    first of all. yes, great idea for a side project.

    second of all. you ARE a jerk. you ALSO convinced me to trade to you my awesome no doubt CD for a latina rhythm CD. obviously, not my brightest moment, but I blame you for taking advantage of how I idolized you so.

    third of all (thirdly? thirst of all? whatever). I bought you that Blink CD. How dare you get rid of it. I have significant memories of selecting it off the shelf at HMV with blushing cheeks, as that CD cover is SCANADLOUS.

    fourth of all. get a mac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you deserve to have your No Doubt CD back. That is an awesome disc and I am a jerk. Just wait until the Ns are done and you can come and claim it.

    Then we'll go Mac shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    I too am sorry you were a jerk/foolish in some of your CD purging/purchasing.

    I am also sorry that the Alanis album is not in our collection.

    Sarah, if you still have it and want to punish your brother, give it back to us. Then he will have to listen to it an review it. Additionally, I actually LOVE that album and will play it over and over at home. In regards to the No Doubt CD: It is in our CD player at home right now. Lily and I have been rocking out to it. But, you do deserve to have it back. Trade you for a MAC?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also...

    BUSTA RHYMES!!! BUSTA is the dude's "first name". Seriously?! And no one has made fun of you yet?! REALLY?! You once paid money for that?! I am almost embarassed to be seen online with you...

    Disclaimer: There may be a few duds contributed to the Jones collection by myself as well...

    However, none that suck as much as Busta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favourite new word: SCANADLOUS
    Defintion: so crazy Canadian it's RIDIUCLOUS!

    ReplyDelete