Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Disc #28: Bryan Adams (Room Service)



Artist: Bryan Adams
Album: Room Service
Released by Badman Limited in 2004

Since I bought Nora this album for Christmas several years ago, I haven't really given it much of an opportunity. However, I have to say that it is really easy to listen to. It took me a few days to figure out why I really liked this album. It's much more rock-y than most of his earlier stuff. Well, it's pop-rock really, but way less love-ballad and more rock guitar.

I will briefly skip ahead to the next disc, Adams' "Anthology", only to mention the DVD that comes with it which features a concert in Lisbon, Portugal, from the "Room Service" tour. He and his band are definitely portraying the rock and roll guy image, all wearing blue jeans and tight black t-shirts. It's a fun look, and they really do rock out.

I think that is a fitting illustration of the feel of this album. It's a good blend of up-beat tunes and slower jams, but all rock. I'm a big fan of "This Side of Paradise" and "Open Road", both of which you may be familiar with. I also love the opening track, "East Side Story", and think that it's a great way to kick off the album (please ignore the horrible Harry Potter video and just enjoy the song). Even though I'm not a huge BA fan, and don't have any of his previous studio albums, I was still able to get into this disc fairly easily.

He may not be the heart-throb that he was 15 years ago (or maybe you still think he is), but he still knows how to put together a solid album. It has just enough cheese that I'm not sick to my stomach, unlike many of his earlier hits. Due to the amount of enjoyment this album produced in me, I will give it a score of:

7

Join me next time as the experiment continues with another BA album on Disc #29: Bryan Adams (Anthology - Disc 1)

3 comments:

  1. 1. He is still a heart-throb. I am sure that I have made that clear during more than one BA-related discussion.

    2. It's not cheese... It's heart. Love it or go for a visit to the Wizard Tin Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEB SHERIFF
    Who You Gonna Call
    Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
    Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
    websheriff@websheriff.com
    www.websheriff.com

    Hi Mike,

    On behalf of Adams Communications, many thanks for plugging Bryan Adams and, if you / your readers would like good quality, non-pirated previews from Bryan's latest album - "11" - then full-length versions of "Tonight We Have The Stars", "I Thought I'd Seen Everything" & "Walk On By" are available for fans and bloggers to stream / host / post / share etc from the Archive section of www.bryanadams.com. Up-to-the-minute news on Bryan's 2010 shows is, of course, available on the official site and on www.myspace.com/bryanadams and an ever-increasing resource for new and archive film footage of Bryan Adams performances is also exclusively available for fans and YouTubers
    on Bryan’s official channel at www.youtube.com/bryanadams ... .. and keep an eye on these official sources for details of further BA news, preview material and on-line promotions.

    Thanks again for your plug.

    Regards,

    WEB SHERIFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,
    An offical Bryan Adams rep scouring the web forums! His career must be on the up and up. Mike Jones, you are becoming an international music critic. (International cause I'm in Aussie Land, and Ben is in the US) Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete