Sunday, May 30, 2010

Disc #27: Bryan Adams (MTV Unplugged)



Artist: Bryan Adams
Album: MTV Unplugged
Released by Badman in 1997

How do you make cheesy love ballads even cheesier? Just add strings to an all-acoustic set. Cheesy as he is, I do have a soft spot for Mr. Adams. As mentioned a few posts ago, "So Far So Good" was one of the albums I grew up on, so there's always a place for Bryan in my (musical) heart).

This album is pretty much a live greatest hits collection, minus the electric guitars and plus strings and other interesting instruments such as the tin whistle, Irish bagpipes, and the dobro (steel blues guitar). All the tunes are familiar and fun to sing along to. I've found in the past that even people who wouldn't say they are Bryan Adams fans will recognize and sing along to his popular songs. I guess that's the true sign of a well established international artist.

As far as I know, this is the only legitimate recording of "Back to You" that has been released, and that's one of my favourite BA songs. He also does a fun, bluesy rendition of "Let's Make a Night to Remember" and a great bluegrass version of "I Think About You."

I'm not going to say to much more here, because there's a double-disc greatest hits compilation coming up and I will talk a whole lot more about BA when we get there. I like BA, but he's not my favourite to listen, although I always find myself singing and bopping along. Therefore, since this album finds itself on the lower side of good, I will award it a score of:

6

Join me next time as the experiment continues with another BA installment on Disc #28: Bryan Adams (Room Service).

2 comments:

  1. A 6!?!? Are you joking!?!? This is Bryan freaking Adams. And this is one of (if not the) BEST MTV unplugged albums ever. I am personally offended. I think we're going to need counselling over this one... (Joking about the counselling, not the album.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEB SHERIFF
    Who You Gonna Call
    Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
    Fax 44-(0)208-323 8080
    websheriff@websheriff.com
    www.websheriff.com

    Hi Mike,

    On behalf of Adams Communications, many thanks for plugging Bryan Adams and, if you / your readers would like good quality, non-pirated previews from Bryan's latest album - "11" - then full-length versions of "Tonight We Have The Stars", "I Thought I'd Seen Everything" & "Walk On By" are available for fans and bloggers to stream / host / post / share etc from the Archive section of www.bryanadams.com. Up-to-the-minute news on Bryan's 2010 shows is, of course, available on the official site and on www.myspace.com/bryanadams and an ever-increasing resource for new and archive film footage of Bryan Adams performances is also exclusively available for fans and YouTubers
    on Bryan’s official channel at www.youtube.com/bryanadams ... .. and keep an eye on these official sources for details of further BA news, preview material and on-line promotions.

    Thanks again for your plug.

    Regards,

    WEB SHERIFF

    ReplyDelete