Saturday, May 1, 2010

Disc #16: Beck (Odelay)



Artist: Beck
Album: Odelay
Released by Geffen Records in 1996

I don't listen to this album very often, but I throw it in now and then. It seems to me that every time I do, I am surprised that I've forgotten how much I like it! I bought it several months after it had been released, probably after a few singles were already getting overplayed on MuchMusic. I thought that some of the tracks were really weird, but I still loved it and knew every word.

As I've re-listened to it over the years, it's not just the catchy tunes that make me enjoy it so much; it's the weird stuff that really impresses me. Looking back at the music that was being produced at the time, I can clearly see how much of an innovator he was, not to mention a brilliant musician, composer and producer.

It is the innovation itself that is the common thread throughout this album. The tracks are musically diverse, but there's an element of experimentation, creativity, and randomness that is evident in every song. There are some catchy hits that really stand out, such as "Devils Haircut", The New Pollution", and "Novacane". Of course, what child of the '90s could forget the classic hit, "Where it's at"? If I said to you, "I got two turn-tables and a microphone," what would you say back to me? You would say, "Where it's at!" Anyone would.

If you want to sample another really cool track that wasn't a radio single, check out "Hotwax". It's probably my fave on the album (followed closely by "Where It's At"). I want to call it funk, but it's more like he just took the best elements of funk music and then did his own thing to make a really cool song.

I don't usually bring music videos into this but it's a part of the culture and we all watched them growing up, and maybe some of us still do. I just watched the video for "Where It's At" on Youtube because I remembered watching it a lot on TV when the single was popular. I have a question for those of you who still watch TV. Are music videos still this weird? I have no idea what's going on in this video (this was a trend in the '90s if you ever saw a video from that era). I thought it was cool at the time because it was a little out there. Now I just think it's weird. Beck, it works in the music, but not in the video man.

I know I'm trying to curb my score giving, but I love this album so much! I was grooving so hard in the car on the way to work for two days straight. According to THE MIKE JONES SCALE OF DISC AWESOMENESS, that deserves a score of:

8

Join me next time as we take one more look at Mr. Hansen with Disc #17: Beck (Mutations).

2 comments:

  1. After your review, I took out this CD which I bet I haven't listened to in at least 5 years, and put it in.

    Thanks for the inspiration, and you're spot on with everything you're saying. Keep it coming! I'm loving this way to reconnect musically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot all about Beck. I will be listening to them as I lesson-plan. mmmm

    ReplyDelete