Thursday, April 29, 2010

Disc #15: Barenaked Ladies (Snacktime!)



Artist: Barenaked Ladies
Album: Snacktime!
Released by Desperation Records in 2008

I am saddened by the fact that this is the last BNL album I will be reviewing. At least it will end on a high note. My apologies to any hard-core BNL fans that I upset with my last post. It's not my fault their Christmas album is so messed up! Hopefully I can make up for it here.

In late 2007, BNL set out to release a collection of songs aimed at children. The result: Snacktime! We bought it in the spring of 2008 with the anticipation of the birth of our first child pending in June. To be honest, I think I listened to the album more before she was born than since. I'm not ashamed to say how much I love it.

Lots of other people loved it too. The album was so well received that they had a big contract with Disney to do a number of shows, and possibly some cruises as well. Unfortunately, just before the large and highly anticipated tour was to begin, front man Steven Page was arrested on alleged cocaine possession. Disney pulled out, the band cancelled their tour, and they decided (mutually) that Page should leave the BNL. I think about this every time I pick up the album, and even though it doesn't change how great it is, I can't help but feel that it is somewhat tainted because of the real life incidents.

Drug charges aside, this album is super fun! Even though it is very juvenile in content, I find it to be more mature over-all than their Christmas album, or even something like "Gordon". It's hard to know what to comment on specifically. The tunes are diverse but they all fit together so well. It isn't short either, with 24 tracks and about an hour of music.

I think my favourite is "Pollywog in a Bog", sung by bassist Jim Creegan. It's nice to hear a different voice for a change, and his is well suited for this tune. The video is lots of fun too.

Check out the title track, sung by Gordon Lightfoot, for some special guest celebrities sharing their favourite snack foods.

For most kids' albums, you really only listen to it if the kids are around. I would listen to Snacktime! anytime! I think that ages 6-11 will get the most out of this album. Them and 27 year-old men with young children. The only thing holding this album back is that it's probably not one you want to throw in while you're cruising around with your buddies. Not cool. Other than that, it's wonderful, and deserves a score of:

7

Join me as the experiment continues and we journey back into the mid-nineties with Disc #16: Beck (Odelay)

3 comments:

  1. Shortly after Lily was born, I remember you rocking her while singing along to the song "Things". As you sang, I am quite sure that you were crying. That makes me love you so much!

    There are things that make me mad
    You are not one of them
    There are things that make me sad
    But you are not one of them

    There are things that make me Dad
    You seem to be all of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I remember totally dismissing this album when it came out because I had no interest in kids music, and frankly, no interest in the BNL at that time.

    However my life has changed recently. We may need to get this album, as listening to a few tracks on line brought big smiles to my face and Meredith's just now.

    Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually haven't listened to Snacktime yet, but I remember being over at your place talking about it - I've forgotten about it until now. I'll have to check it out. As a teacher, it may come in handy!

    ReplyDelete