Saturday, April 17, 2010

Disc #7: Andy Mckee (Art Of Motion)



Artist: Andy McKee
Album: Art Of Motion
Released by Candyrat Records in 2005

What can I say about the spell-binding music of solo acoustic guitarist Andy McKee? I should start from the beginning. I first heard his music when I was forwarded a link to a YouTube video of Andy playing "Drifting". It was sent to me by Dean Westacott, who received it from Tony Rossi (guitarist from the Daniel band). It seems as though a few other people got that link as well, since the video has had well over 29 million views to date. Here's the link to that first video I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4&feature=related

If I'm remembering correctly, he has won awards for his "fingerstyle" based on the performance of this tune. I was blown away instantly, and I immediately watched all the other videos of him that I could find. I found them to be just as impressive, even though he uses a fairly unique style of playing on "Drifting". Before I watched the others, I wondered if this guy would just be a one-trick-pony, but that idea was quickly exacted from my mind as I heard and viewed more of his playing.

My wife, being the intuitive and thoughtful woman that she is, saw my interest in Andy and picked up his most current CD at the time (the one I'm reviewing now) for my upcoming birthday. In addition to the tracks I had already viewed on the Internet were several other tunes, all just as enjoyable.

Although I have my favourites on this album, I enjoy all the tracks very much. I find some of the tracks intense and thought-provoking, while others are very soothing and relaxing. I sometimes find myself getting emotional when listening to different tunes, which is in the absence of lyrics, since his music in strictly instrumental.

I think that "Drifing" is my favourite track on the album and it was the one that initially drew me to Andy's music. A very close second is "The Keys to the Hovercar" which is loads of fun to listen to. I watch him play these songs, and it still makes me wonder how he actually accomplishes it. His talent is astounding.

There are very few times that I would object to listening to this album. If you're not familiar with Andy, check him out on YouTube. There's lots there to see, but start with the two that I've mentioned. I definitely need some more of his albums in my collection, as this is the only one I possess.

I have no other choice but to give Andy a score of:

9

I know that I have given two 9s already, but don't worry; The average will drop soon enough.

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #8: Yellowcard.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you should also have warned people (before directing them to view video of Andy McKee) that he's a bit creepy looking. But, perhaps all genius-type folk are. If you can't get people to hang out with you (due to the slight creep-factor) then you are left with loads of time on your hands to get super-fantastic at whatever you choose. Too bad he didn't decide to try and cure the common cold.
    Still, the music is fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I don't know what to say. I've never heard of this guy, but now I want to... I've read through all of your posting ins March, and this is the first new artist for me, and I must say, Look out Deja Vu discs.

    ReplyDelete