Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Disc #4: Yes (The Ultimate Yes: Disc 1)


Artist: Yes
Album: The Ultimate Yes:
35th Anniversary Collection (Disc 1)
Released by Warner Strategic Marketing in 2004

If you're a music lover (and you're still in to buying actual pieces of plastic, not just files on iTunes), here's a tip for you. Always take time to go into a used CD store, should you come across one. You never know what you can find when you invest some time in there. I snagged this beauty at a new/used CD store in Tallahassee, Forida. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the sweet corn industry was very good to me and fueled much of my CD purchasing in the early part of the Millennium. So, when you're in Florida picking corn and you have very few expenses and you're being paid very well, you always spend some time (and money) in a used CD shop.

A greatest hits or compilation CD is a great way to get into any band. I only knew a few Yes tracks at the time and I knew I was digging their sound, but I wasn't ready to take the plunge and get one of their albums. Enter the greatest hits collection (for a discounted price).

I was absolutely blown away. I had already found a liking with bands such as Rush, Genesis, and even the sounds of guys like Dream Theatre. Yes slid in there real nice. I am always happy to give this disc a spin.

As you may have noted at the top of this post, I'm only going to review this compilation one disc at a time. I will do this for all multi-disc albums, but it's especially fitting here where the tracks follow somewhat of a chronological order. This could get a little scattered if I were do it all at once. Plus, who wants to read a blog that is already longer than it should be, and then add two more discs worth of ranting.

I hardly know where to start when reviewing this disc. Let's begin with time. Most of the tracks on this disc come from the early 70s. This is one of my most favourite eras of rock music, and is the main reason that I like it so much. At times I'm bobbing my head, grooving along to the jams. At other times I'm mesmerized by the musical complexity and the sheer talent of the players.

Pretty much every track on this disc is a winner in my books. I just can't get enough of it. I was recently telling a friend about it, to whom I intend to loan the album to, and the word of advice I gave to him was "endure". Some of these tracks are extremely long, with more than one of them clocking in at over ten minutes. Most people aren't ready for that type of stuff yet. but if you can hang in there, you're in for a real treat.

The gems here are of course the big hits. "Roundabout", "Starship Trooper" and "I've Seen All Good People" are most likely the biggest. They are amazing, but I believe that the only thing they've got that the other tracks don't is familiarity.

I could go on, for a very long time, but I will tell you one thing. If you're a big music fan, and you are fond of the progressive rock movement of the 70s, you must listen to Yes. You will enjoy it. If you can't decide on what album to get, pick this one up, or get your hands on some other compilation out there.

I think it will come as no surprise when I give this disc a score of:

9

on THE MIKE JONES SCALE OF DISC AWESOMENESS. This music may not be your cup of tea, but I love it to pieces (in the most masculine, rock-and-roll way possible).

I hope you will join me next time as both the experiment and our journey into the extensive career of Yes continues with Disc #5: Yes.

2 comments:

  1. While my slight distaste for this CD is probably fueling this rant, I was struck by this commment: "So, when you're in Florida picking corn and you have very few expenses and you're being paid very well, you always spend some time (and money) in a used CD shop."
    Now that we have more than a few expenses, and more ridiculous CDs then we should, I only wish I had a time machine. I would go back to teenage corn-picking Mike and say, "I'm your future wife. Seriously, take out an RRSP and quit messing around in these used CD stores. If you can do that for me I'll quit wasting my babysitting money on dates with other boys... Or at least cut back significantly."

    Also, in regards to this particular CD: If you have to instruct someone to "endure", maybe it isn't really a "9" on the Mike Jones Scale of Disc Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve Howe - very strange looking guy.
    And You And I is a great one - is it in this compilation?

    ReplyDelete