Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Disc #14: Barenaked Ladies (Barenaked for the Holidays)



Artist: Barenaked Ladies
Album: Barenaked for the Holidays
Released by Desperation Records in 2004

Before I begin my tirade about this album, I want to remind everyone that I do love BNL. I really do love them. I just thought you should know at the beginning of this post, because you might not believe me if I wrote that at the end.

This has got to be one of the most frustrating albums I've ever had to listen to. It is such a hodge-podge of different types of holiday songs. This is not an album you can just throw on when you've got some people over during Christmas. You go from a really sensitive, classic Christmas tune, to some ridiculous rendition of a holiday song. Or, my favourite, you listen to a very gentle original composition, and then jump right into "Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young!" sung to the tune of "Deck the Halls". If that confuses you, I mean that they literally just sing those five words to the tune.

If this was just a kids fun album, I would have nothing to complain about. I would even be happy if they split the album into two halves. One could be for goofy stuff, and the other for more serious hoiday tunes.

In BNL's defense, the album is titled "Barenaked for the HOLIDAYS", not "Sacred Christmas music by Barenaked Ladies". That still doesn't change the fact that I popped this thing out of the player as fast as I could once the last track was finished.

If there is a highlight to this album, it is definitely their medley of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" with Sarah McLachlan. This tack is light, fun, and snappy, but I still find it respectful. I can not say the same for Kevin Hearn's "Napoleon Dynamite"-esque rendition of "O Holy Night".

These tunes on their own are OK, but the album is a mixed up mess. If it wasn't Christmas music, which I love, the score would plummet extremely low. However, there are some enjoyable moments scattered amongst the ridiculous. Therefore, I will award this smorgus-board of a Christmas album a score of:

4

Join me next time as the experiment continues with our last listen to this band (so far) on Disc #15: Barenaked Ladies (Snacktime!)

No comments:

Post a Comment