Saturday, April 10, 2010

Experiment #1: The CD Collection

I was looking at all my CDs the other day and thought to myself, "Do I listen to most of this stuff? Do I even like it anymore?" I then decided to do something I should have done a long, long time ago: deliberately listen to EVERY SINGLE CD IN MY COLLECTION.

As soon as my brain had the thought, my mind was right on board. We were all in agreement. Then some other part of myself piped up, "Are you really sure you want to do that? Some of those things should be left on the Ikea CD rack, their melodies just a shadow of your former self." Despite this retort, the rest of us over-ruled and decided to proceed with this, the first experiment.

So here's the deal. My commute to work is roughly one hour (round trip) every day, so that's where almost all of my listening will happen. I value my marriage far too much to try this at home. Just to keep things interesting, I will take a CD from the beginning of the alphabet (yes, I have it alphabetized), and then one from the end, until I've listened to all of them. Each disc will get its own review. I don't have an official count at the moment, but it is probably 200 CDs strong. I will get an accurate figure soon.

Another interesting twist to the experiment is the amalgamation of collections. The two shall become one upon marrying, and the same has been so for our CD collections. Of course, I know which ones are "mine", but there is no physical separation in terms of their location on the shelf. Also, some of them were a "Team Jones" purchase.

This will be especially interesting since I haven't even listened to some of my wife's CDs before. However, we are the same age and have grown up in a similar demographic, so I am familiar with almost all of her collection, with very few exceptions.

When the alphabet is completed, I will move on to soundtracks and compilations, and if I dare, children's CDs.


Before it all begins, let me make a few things very clear. I am not claiming to be some sort of profound music critic. Nor am I claiming to have an overly extensive or impressive collection, based on any criteria. I will simply be commenting on the Disc, and share insights and stories that it reminds me of, memories of the music (gag), and perhaps the exact time and location of the purchase. If I decide that a particular disc really stinks, and my wife isn't attached to it, I may offer it up to the ravenous masses (providing anyone ever reads my posts).


So, without further ado, let Experiment #1 commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment