Friday, April 16, 2010

Disc #6: Yes (The Ultimate Yes: Disc 3)



Artist: Yes
Album: The Ultimate Yes:
35th Anniversary Collection (Disc 3)
Released by Warner Strategic Marketing in 2004

We can give an obligatory round of applause to the marketing guys for this, the third disc in The Ultimate Yes compilation. As is often the case in these greatest hits sets, there are a bunch of "previously unreleased" tracks thrown in there to reel in some extra cash. A three-disc set is always better than a two-disc right? You usually end up with one or both of the following scenarios. Either you get the "alternate takes" of familiar songs, or you get unreleased crappy tracks that got cut from other albums. Both are present here on disc 3.

First, there are only 5 tracks on the disc, which is a bit of a rip. Two of them are acoustic versions of other tunes ("Roundabout" and "South Side of the Sky"). The acoustic version of "Roundabout" is a fun, "swinging" version of the tune. "South Side" is also done well, but these were already good songs, and it just seems that they're trying to milk their value from the hardcore fans. I suppose it's been effective, since I own it, and I'm not even hardcore.

The other tunes aren't really that memorable, especially bassist Chris Squire's arrangement of "New World Symphony", based on Dvorak's "Symphony No. 9 in E Minor". In my defense, I didn't buy this album for the bonus disc (though I was hoping for a little more). Hence, this album receives a score of:

4

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #7: Andy McKee.

p.s I'm super stoked to write about this next one, and it may also contain the first video of the experiment.

3 comments:

  1. you're not EVER hardcore? or you're not EVEN hardcore?

    I don't think either statement is true.

    1) you are hardcore about some things
    2) you're EVEN hardcore about Yes! Just LOOK at the review for disc one. *wheeeew* [that's a whistle sound].

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Sash, it should be EVEN, because I am indeed hardcore at certain times. This is something that must have been missed in my rigorous editting process.
    However, I will disagree with point #2. You can't be a hardcore fan of a band and only have their greatest hits. It just doens't work like that. I like them a lot, and rated disc #1, but I'm afraid I would get beat up but an actual hardcore fan if I claimed that I was one.
    But thatnks again for being on my editting team. The error has been noted and changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the errors in your comment are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but they annoy me nonetheless. (Yes Michael, that is a word.) Or maybe your editing truly is terrible...

    ReplyDelete