Monday, April 26, 2010

Disc #12: Barenaked Ladies (Gordon)




Artist: Barenaked Ladies
Album: Gordon
Released by Sire Records in 1992

Before we start, I will comment on the two album covers that I've posted. The one with the guys on it is the cover from the original 1992 release. By the time I got around to purchasing the album, somebody had decided to change the cover, perhaps for a more marketable image (you can only sell those nerdy, early-nineties looks for so long). The cover may have been changed in the late '90s (97 or 98) when the album was released in the United States for the first time by Reprise Records.

Even if you grew up in the '90s and you don't have this album, you probably know a good chunk of the tunes. My first memories of this album are from when I would borrow the cassette tape from the public library. I would listen to it for two weeks straight, take it back, then pick it up again a month later. I wasn't a huge music fan yet (in fact, I wasn't even in high school yet, and didn't yet have the income to buy CDs for myself) but I loved the album. A lot of the songs are quite humorous, even silly, and that was right up my alley at the time.

Unfortunately, as my taste in music changed over the years, Gordon took the back seat and I never did purchase it until the early 2000s. At the end of high school and beginning of university, I blew a lot of $ on CDs in the summer. Thanks again Rouge River Farms! I'm pretty sure I got this Cd during a 3 for 20$ sale, or some deal like that. I figured that it was one I needed in my collection, and I was right.

It is true that many of the tracks have a silliness to them, but these guys are pretty talented musically, and this is showcased many times throughout the album. One of the elements that gives BNL their signature sound (at least on this album) is Jim Creegan's double-bass, which he plays exclusively on the album. You don't hear that in pop music a whole lot these days (or even those days).

Although I will admit that this album is sort of all over the map musically, I love pretty much all 15 tracks. It's difficult for me to pick a favourite, but I'll mention some highlights.

"Grade 9", a fairly silly song, was my very favourite growing up. It's not so much any more, but it's still loads of fun. It gets huge props for having portions of 2 Rush songs in it.

Even though it gets sort of intense near the end of the tune, "Brian Wilson" is a beautiful song. I love listening to it. It's almost "Hey Jude"-ish in the way that it starts out so soft and gentle, and ends in a bit of a frenzy. If you're into downloading, try and get your hands on the live version of this tune where they perform with Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys) himself.

Here's an interesting fact I discovered while looking up some info for this post. During the recording sessions, the guys were having trouble with "The King of Bedside Manor". Somebody suggested recording it naked, and the guys took it seriously. They even made the producer and engineer dis-robe. Apparently it worked, and it's a technique that has been used occasionaly on subsequent albums. Now that's creative freedom (in so many ways). Just thought you should know.

Of course, I couldn't go without mentioning "If I had $1000000". This song is infamous in Canada, the US, and probably many other countries as well. It breaks through demographic boundaries, and is recognized by people of all ages. It is, like many others on the album, a little silly, but a classic for sure.

If I had to pick a favourite, it would be the closing tune, "Crazy". There are lots of wonderful bits of music happening on this track, and some great vocal harmonization as well. I often find myself clicking the repeat button on this one.

Albeit dated, this album is a must have for Torontonians, Ontarians, Canadians, and most importantly, Scarberians. I love listening to it, and it brings back a flood of memories. There are several more BNL albums to come, so I will give it a score of:

7

I was real tempted to give it an 8, but I'm still struggling to curb my over-zealous score giving.

Join me next time as the experiment continues and we jump way into the future with Disc #13: Barenaked Ladies (Maroon).

3 comments:

  1. neat-o brotha. speaking of if i had a million dollars... i seem to remember dad telling us some story about how that use to be a fireside scouting game where people would sit around suggesting things they would buy with a million bucks, and then these guys made a song about it!

    do you remember that? am i making up facts?

    either way... good band, good song, good rating, good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not making that up Sash. At least one of them (and can't remember who) was involved in some way in Scouting in Scarborough, and they played this game. One person would say what they would buy, then the next person would say their own, plus the first person's, and it would go around the circle like that. It might have been where they got some of the suggestions for specific items in the song.

    It's always great when someone tells you that you didn't just make it up! (Geez, I hope my info's correct)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a native Scarberian, I take great pride in all things BNL. (Minus the cocaine thing. Thanks a lot Stevie Page. Moron.) In fact, a couple of the BNLs went to my high school. The music video for "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" was filmed in the neighbourhood I grew up in/behind the high school. Obviously, I wasn't at school with them... but nonetheless, I am proud to be somewhat associated with the boys.

    ReplyDelete