Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Disc #25: Bing Crosby (20th Century Masters: The Best of Bing Crosby - The Christmas Collection)



Artist: Bing Crosby
Album: 20th Century Masters: The Best of Bing Crosby - The Christmas Collection
Released by MCA Records in 1999

Before I begin this post, I would like to extend sincerest apologies to my faithful followers. I'm sorry the posts have been a little sparse of late, and hope to get back on pace this week. The half-dozen of you are VERY encouraging. Thank you so much for your support and comments!

So here we are with yet another Christmas album. Only 25 discs in and we hit our third one. It was weird having air-conditioning and Christmas music on at the same time, but they're both so good that I was able to get over it quickly.

Because it is so obviously seasonal, Christmas music has it's limitations. However, can you really go wrong when you get Bing Crosby to sing some of the most memorable and well known songs of the 20th Century? The answer is no. This album is enjoyable any time of the year. Especially in "the most wonderful time of the year".

Of all the classic male vocal performers, Bing is probably my favourite to listen to (followed extremely closely by Frank Sinatra). His tone is so warm that it makes me feel like I'm under an afghan by a warm fireplace in a ski-resort chalet. If that image doesn't make you feel cozy, you need to listen to more Bing.

It's great to hear someone sing a lot of the classics again. I don't need to revisit that atrocious BNL album that I reviewed a little while ago. You can read it yourself if you want to. I'm also still scarred from a whole month of listening to nothing but CHFI's all Christmas music broadcast last season. Only Bing has been able to ease the pain of that memory.

Well, I haven't said much about the music itself, but what is there to say? Love-able music sung by a legendary vocalist; it's always a great listen. All that being said, it does have it's place, and driving down a sunny highway with the windows down is not it. Therefore, I will award The Old Groaner a score of:

6

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #26: Blue Rodeo (Five Days in July).

No comments:

Post a Comment