Thursday, June 17, 2010

Disc #31: Cadet (Cadet)



Artist: Cadet
Album: Cadet
Released by BEC Recordings in 2001

This was a new one for me, as I've never heard any music by Cadet before. I may have heard of the band when I was younger and more in tune with Christian music circles, but none of my friends had any of their music. Come to think of it, I don't believe Nora has ever mentioned even owning this album. I think I have just discovered why.

After listening to this album once through, I came to an interesting conclusion. It wasn't bad music, nor did I hate what I was listening to, I just wasn't inspired at all. There wasn't one moment that either disgusted, or excited me. It is perhaps the most apathetic I have ever felt.

The only really annoying thing about this album is the second track, "God-Man (Jesus is My Superhero)". I can live with calling The Lord your "superhero", as there are many teens who might relate to that on some level. After the chorus, when they shout out, "It's God-Man!" now that's disrespectful. It's not controversial, it's just straight-up rude and immature. Did no one on the record label stop and think about the implications of the lyrics on this track? I guess not.

I don't know what else to say about this disc. This is probably because there really isn't much to say at all. Their only saving grace is the fact that they are promoting a very positive message. For that, I will bump Cadet's score up to a:

3

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #32: Cake (Comfort Eagle).

3 comments:

  1. Huh - not sure why it never came up that I own this album. In fact I bought it in high school precisely because I heard the God-Man song and LOVED IT! I never really thought about the implications of shouting out "God-Man!" - you're right, that was a poor choice.

    I feel like it came out in that wave of Christian ska (Supertones/FIF) which evolved to Christian swing (the W's), to Christian surf rock (Cadet).

    By the way, I'm really looking forward to your next review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Additionally (and I'm writing this as I re-listen to this album), I hate it when Christian artist attempt to write a song from God's perspective looking down on humanity (see track three, Precious One). It seems incredibly arrogant - as if we know what God would sing to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a month later, but I'm totally with you. Cake will be up in the next hour.

    ReplyDelete