Thursday, June 3, 2010

Disc #29: Bryan Adams (Anthology-Disc 1)



Artist: Bryan Adams
Album: Anthology (Disc 1)
Released by Badman Limited/ A&M Records in 2005

First off, a big thanks to Ben Wideman, who took us to one of America's largest independent music stores the last time we were visiting L.A. We took a lengthy tour through Amoeba Music and picked up this gem, along with a couple other classic albums that we will come upon later. If I had been living near this store during my bachelor days, I would have way more school debt, because all of my money would have gone to Amoeba. We will meet again, and hopefully I will have more disposable funds.

One thing that I really like about greatest hits compilations is that, unless you are already a massive fan, you get to hear some songs you aren't familiar with, along with the big hits you love. For example, the first track on this disc, "Remember", is one that I have never even heard before. It is from an early demo that Bryan did, but it's still something new, and I'm glad that a few tracks like this made it onto his anthology.

This first disc is comprised mainly of his hits from the 80s, with a few from the very early 90s. It's a healthy blend of all-out rock tunes with some strong rock ballads. There's not a whole bunch of big guitar solos, but I love some of the riffs. One of my faves is in the duet with Tina Turner, "It's Only Love". This tune starts with a great rock riff, and is one that any of you budding electric guitarists could pick up pretty easily.

You know I love a good sing along, and this CD certainly has many of these. There are a few songs I'm less familiar with, but I was wailing along with Bryan's raspy vocals through the majority of the tunes. There are some huge hits on this first disc, such as, "Heaven", "Summer of '69" and "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You". These are international super-hits which almost anyone can hum along to. That's not what impresses me about this album, but it sure gives me some respect for just how influential his music has been. You've made your country proud Bryan!

This album has great hits, great rock, and is loads of fun to sing along to. It would be great at any party you could throw (keep that in mind as BBQ season is now fully upon us). All that being said, I'm gonna be bold and give this one a score of:

8

Join me next time as the experiment continues with the other half of this compilation with Disc #30: Bryan Adams (Anthology - Disc 2).

1 comment:

  1. Mike... I'm sorry to say that BA has now re-defined himself in my mind. Up until 6 months ago if you asked me about Bryan Adams I would have given you fond memories of summer of 69, Heaven, Please forgive me, run to you.... You know, all his goodies. But then there is now.

    Did you see the Olympics? How many times to you reckon he sang "Bang the drum a little louder, so the whole world can hear - so the whole world can hear."
    What did you develop a studder Mr. Adams? I'm hoping this is something I will get over, but time will tell - and the same goes for you Ms Furtado. :-)

    ReplyDelete