Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Disc #34: Bryan Adams (11)



Artist: Bryan Adams
Album: 11
Released by badman Ltd. in 2008

During the same visit to Deja Vu discs in which I picked up the latest Ben Folds album, I also picked up Bryan Adams' 2008 release, "11". My recent blogging has rekindled my wife's love for BA, so I decided to pick up this disc as a Mothers' day present. Needless to say, it went over very well.

As far as the album goes, I don't think I have very much to say. I recently reviewed its predecessor, "Room Service", and as I think about the two albums, I have a hard time separating one from the other. The music is still very good and he definitely knows how to write catchy pop songs and romantic ballads. There just weren't many moments when I thought, "Wow, that sounds awesome." I enjoyed it, but not that much.

If you want to get a good sense of what the album is like, just listen to the lead single, "I Thought I'd Seen Everything", which you have probably heard on the radio. That pretty much sums up the general feel of the whole disc. In fact, it kind of sums up the last 15 years of Bryan's career. Now, just before you go and accuse me of going on a major BA bashing spree, let me reiterate the fact that I do very much enjoy this album and his music in general. However, I also enjoy being surprised and challenged musically, and this disc did neither for me.

At the end of the day, it was a decent listen. If you're a big BA fan, you will love it. It's everything you could hope for in a BA album. Is he starting to slow down? Who knows! Apparently he still puts on a great live show. All that being said, I will award this disc a score of:

6

Join me next time as we continue our trip through the "C"s with Disc #35: Capstone (Integreality).

No comments:

Post a Comment