Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Disc #35: Capstone (Integreality)



Artist: Capstone
Album: Integreality
Released by Capstone in 1999

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised upon listening to this CD. I have heard these guys live before at least once. I remember them coming to Tyndale College during frosh week of my first year. I enjoyed their music, but wasn't really into them or that circle of artists in the way that many of my peers were. The one song I do remember is "You Are My Rock". Since these guys were a few years prior to the YouTube days, it was hard to find anything on them. However, I was able to find an amateur video of lead singer Joel Auge singing this song solo in 2007. It's a great tune and one that has for some reason remained in my memory.

The first thing that I noticed on this album was the mixing. At first I felt that the rhythm section was mixed way too loud and that I could hardly hear the vocals. As the tracks went on I found that some tracks were the opposite, and some were mixed just right. The word that sums it up is inconsistency. I was initially disappointed, but as I listened to the disc a few more times there was something that distracted me from this technical flaw: musicality.

These four guys are incredible musicians. Not only that, but the songs are very well written. Some tunes, like "You Are My Rock", are simple and catchy. Others are rather deep and complex, such as "Invention", and my favourite on the album, "Never Let Go". Eventually, I didn't even notice the mixing problems anymore. I was simply able to enjoy the great music that these guys have produced. All being said, it's a half-decent job for an independent (and probably very low-budget) release.

As far as Christian worship music goes, I find it to be raw and very sincere. It's very much focused on the Lord. Some lyricists tend to point out the flaws in ourselves as imperfect human beings and direct us to how we ought to live. There is value in that and we all need to hear it at some point during our life, no matter what we believe in. This music however, generally focuses on praise of the Father. I find that this is the best place to start when worshipping. We always have stuff going on inside, whether good or bad, but He NEVER changes, so we can always worship him for who He is: the un-changing Rock.

Due to the mixing problems that I pointed out, I cannot give this album as high of a score than if it were mixed more professionally. None-the-less, it is a very inspiring album created by some extremely talented musicians. Because of how much I enjoyed it, I will award it a score of:

7

All the best to the members of Capstone, in whatever opportunities you may be pursuing at this time, musical or otherwise. Please join me next time as the experiment continues with disc #36: Casting Crowns (Casting Crowns).

No comments:

Post a Comment