Saturday, August 14, 2010

Disc #38: Chantal Kreviazuk (Colour Moving and Still)



Artist: Chantal Kreviazuk
Album: Colour Moving and Still
Released by Sony Music Entertainment in 1999

When I first threw this disc in the player, I was immediately reminded of a time in the late nineties when girls had just stopped wearing brown plaid shirts over all their outfits and they all looked forward to Lilith Fair every summer. Not an overly strong period in recent Western pop-culture, but a stepping stone noe-the-less(I'm sure).

Lilith Fair jokes aside, this album is not so bad. The problem for me is that it's just not my cup of tea. I can certainly appreciate Chantal's musicality and song-writing ability. There were one or two tracks where her vocal ability really made me raise my eyebrows. She writes some good songs, but I guess this specific style of music is not my thing.

The song you are probably most familiar with from this album is "Before You". As I reviewed this video, I remembered that I really liked it when it came out. It wasn't because I loved her music, though I always have enjoyed this tune, or because I had a huge crush on Chantal (which was often the case with videos that I loved featuring female artists). I specifically remember enjoying the deep greens in the forest scenes, and I always thought that the whole TV screen concept linking the different settings together was a great idea.

At the end of it all, I really have nothing negative to say about this album. If you like Chantal or other artists like her, you will enjoy this album. You have the Mike Jones guarantee on that one. As for me, I'm not overly thrilled with it, so I am forced to give it a score of:

6

I was going to give it a 5, but I bumped it up because of some special appearances by her husband, Raine Maida, and the drummer from his band, Our Lady Peace, Jeremy Taggert. I love it when artists collaborate with each other, and I'm kind of addicted to reading the liner notes of an album to find out who popped up on the disc as a special guest.

Please Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #39: Chris Tomlin (See The Morning).

No comments:

Post a Comment