Thursday, August 19, 2010

Disc #39: Chris Tomlin (See The Morning)



Artist: Chris Tomlin
Album: See The Morning
Released by Sparrow Records in 2006

First off, I'm a big fan of Tomlin's music. This is the first album of his that we acquired, and hats off to Nora's brother, Ben, for giving it to us. It's been very inspiring. When the first two tracks are so dynamite, how could it not be? They were both big hits, at least in Christian music circles, and perhaps even outside the Christian loop (at least in the United States).

You start off with "How Can I Keep From Singing?", which is a great song about expressing praise to God. It is then followed by "Made to Worship", a call to believers in terms of our identity and purpose.

I'm a big guitar fan, and this album is full of great guitar rock. The sound is not heavy, just full of warm, rich electric guitar tones, blended with full-bodied acoustic guitar sounds on rhythm. The first two songs contain this type of sound, but my favourite on the album is definitely "Rejoice", which contains the title lyric. This song also illustrates Tomlin's incredible vocal ability, which is evident in both his range and tone.

This is truly an inspiring album, both lyrically and musically. I will touch on this a little more when I review his next CD. For now, I will simply give him a score, once again abiding by the extremely strict parameters of The Mike Jones Scale of Disc Awesomeness:

8

Please join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #40: Chris Tomlin (Hello Love).

No comments:

Post a Comment