Friday, August 6, 2010

Disc #36: Casting Crowns (Casting Crowns)



Artist: Casting Crowns
Album: Casting Crowns
Released by Beach Street Records in 2003

If I could use one word to sum up this album, it would be: refreshing. I've listened to it before, but not in quite a while. I'd forgotten how well done it is. I owe a huge thanks to my in-laws, Mike and Jan, for giving this album to us. It's very encouraging. It's a pretty strong mix of self-examination, both as individuals and as the Body of Christ as a whole, and sincere worship of the Father.

As the disc starts out, it seems pretty harsh. The first two songs criticize the Church at large for not praying ("What If His People Prayed") and not reaching out those coming into the Church from the outside("If We Are The Body"). I don't actually believe it's all that harsh; I think it's realistic. Even if we are doing our best to follow the example that Christ has set out for us, which most of us aren't, we still fall short of the mark.

It lightens up a little bit after the first two tracks, but still challenges us to examine ourselves and realize that we're not as great as we often like to think we are. Lyrically, I think that I can relate the most to "Who Am I". It is a good reminder for me when I do something that I think is really awesome, that it's not by my strength that I can do it; it's only through the Lord. In addition, it humbles me by reminding me that Jesus didn't die for me because I deserved it. I truly don't deserve it, but He died for me because He loves me. It is His death that makes me great, not the things I do.

Not because of who I am

But because of what You've done

Not because of what I've done

But because of who You are

Musically, this album is quite simple, and that is not meant to be a negative statement. I believe that the powerful part of this album is the convicting and uplifting nature of the lyrics. The music is solid and engaging, but it doesn't distract what really draws me in to this disc. i find the music quite enjoyable, but not challenging like many other artists and genres that I enjoy.

My favourite song on the album is the last track, "Your Love is Extravagant". Even though I know that they did not compose this song, and usually that would bug me on an album, I think they've done a fantastic job with the tune. I find it so relaxing, and it gives me such a peace when I listen to it. Whether you believe in the same things that I do or not, I recommend this tune to if you feel at all tired, weary, depressed, lonely, or afraid. Hopefully it will give you the comfort that you need.

I'm a big fan of this album, and there's never a time that I've had it on and I don't feel good afterwards. Though I usually look for something a lot more complex, musically speaking, the power of the lyrics makes it highly enjoyable and uplifting. I'm quite confident in giving this album a score of:

8

Please join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #37: Casting Crowns (Lifesong).

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Mr. Jones. I find that it is really hard to review artists that create praise music because it is such a personal reflection on your tastes on both a musical and spiritual level. Good job on taking on the challenge here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man... casting crowns eh? i was OBSESSED with this group in the last few years of high school... even went to a concert of theirs at the molson (ironic?) ampitheatre... If I recall, we had like 3rd row seats to an excellent show!

    ReplyDelete