Saturday, January 15, 2011

Disc #45: Bruno Mars (Doo Wops & Hooligans)



Artist: Bruno Mars
Album: Doo Wops & Hooligans
Released by Elektra Entertainment Group in 2010

I got this CD for my wife this Christmas, and I decided early on in the experiment that if I acquired any discs during the experiment that should have already been reviewed (alphabetically speaking) I would deal with them right away so they don't get left behind. Hence, we are back in the Bs. However, we would have had to wait until the Ps if Mars went by his real name, Peter Gene Hernandez. I think he made the right choice.

There are a few things to be said about Mr. Mars regarding this album. First of all, the guy does have an amazing voice, with quite a range in the top end. Second, he writes all his songs, which is always impressive, and has written some famous songs for others as well. Keep your eye out for him at the Grammys this year.

The general feel of the album is light and poppy, with some reggae sounds on a few of the tracks. Some of the songs I really enjoy, while others are just the soundtrack to a world of pop that's out there.

It sort of reminds me of John Mayer's first album, "Room For Squares". It was a great album, but it was pop music. After that album, John Mayer blossomed into something much larger than many had anticipated. I could see that happening to Mars. In my opinion, this album is comprised of a collection of concise pop tunes that don't thrill, but there is loads of potential lurking beneath the surface of this performer.

Overall, it doesn't blow me a way, but it's a good listen. I'm very curious to see what next for Mr. Hernandez. Thus, I will give it a score of:

5

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #46: Coldplay (Parachutes).

1 comment: