Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Disc #49: Coldplay (X&Y)



Artist: Coldplay
Album: X&Y
Released by Parlophone in 2005

I always remember when this album was released because it was so close to our wedding. We were married on a Saturday, and it came out on the Tuesday following. Even though we were on our honeymoon, I insisted that we pick it up. Luckily, my wife is also a fan, so she was on board. One thing that my new bride was yet to learn about me was that I can listen to a new album over and over, for a very long time. By Thursday she had heard enough of it to last for months. As for me, I still can't get enough.

I find this album very similar to Parachutes in terms of its listenability; they are both very easy to listen to. Yet with every album, Coldplay seems to develop more and more. You can hear much more electronic elements on this album than its pre-decessors, especially on the first track, "Square One", which is one of my favourites.

As a newlywed, I was immediately captivated by the lyrics on "What If".

What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side?
That you don't want me there in your life?

It is said that you don't know what you've got till it's gone. This helped my meditate on how blessed I was to have what I did, and still helps me enjoy it to the fullest. Thank you Nora.

The first single off the album was "Speed of Sound", which I liked when I first heard it, but hoped that the album would have a little more to offer. It just reminded me too much of "Clocks". As I had hoped, it is, in my opinion, one of the weaker songs on the album. Another big hit was "Fix You". I loved this song from the beginning, but it will never sound the same again after seeing the documentary, "Young at Heart". Please watch this movie about a group of senior citizens in a choir whose director chooses music that is much younger than they are. You will never hear this song again without shedding a tear.

Once again, Coldplay has put out a masterful album. I really can't think of anything negative to say about it. So, it will receive a score of:

9

Join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #50: Coldplay (Viva La Vida).

1 comment:

  1. A good tip on Young at Heart. I'll have to check that out. The big crescendo near the end of Fix You already makes me choke up as it is!

    I'm happy to see you back on track with the reviews!!! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete