Thursday, January 20, 2011

Disc #48: Coldplay (The Scientist [single])



Artist: Coldplay
Album: The Scientist (single)
Released by Parlophone in 2002

I am fairly confident that this is the only single I have ever bought. I was browsing around in Wal-mart with some friends in Huntsville, Ontario. Like a good young lad, I took some time to peruse the CD rack. I didn't really have much money to spend at the time, nor did I really have my eye on anything in particular. Once I saw that I could spend a very small amount of money and add just a little bit more Coldplay to my collection, the next step was a no-brainer.

This disc consists of three tracks. The single, of course, was a huge hit. I will also make the point of adding that the music video to this tune may be one of the very best I have ever seen (and I saw a lot while I was in high school and had no social life).

In my opinion, the other two songs, "1.36" and "I Ran Away", really fit in well with the general sound and feel of "A Rush..." I understand that at some point you have to draw the line when you're recording tracks for a new album, but I think these could have slipped on there no problem. I especially like "I Ran Away". I wish it was on the album so I could listen to it more often. It has everything I love in a Coldplay song, and I recommend giving it a listen.

I'm not really sure how I should score this disc, since it's not a full-length album, or even an EP for that matter. In terms of listenabiliy (did I just make up a word?), I love it. However, its total value is somewhat limited due to its length. Therefore, I feel somewhat obligated to bump this score down to a:

7

Trust me, if it was longer, it would be right up there with the others.

Please join me next time as the experiment continues with Disc #49: Coldplay (X&Y).

No comments:

Post a Comment